Stuart Weir is a senior commercial lawyer with over 30 years of commercial legal experience at a top tier level.
His experience includes over 20 years specialising in banking and finance and before that 5 years specialising in major projects and construction.
He has a strong track record advising top ASX 100 companies, mid-cap and private companies, property developers and investors, lenders, government entities and multilateral institutions on complex financing transactions and related projects and commercial matters.
He has a team-orientated, collaborative approach developed over nearly three decades of experience working in multi-disciplinary teams in some of the world’s leading law firms.
Stuart’s expertise has been recognised for banking and finance in 2015/16 in Legal 500 and Doyle’s Guide to the Australian Legal Profession in 2015 & 2018, as well as annually in Best Lawyers since 2015.
Stuart’s particular areas of expertise include advising on:
- Property development finance (residential, mixed-use and commercial projects)
- Project and infrastructure finance (greenfields and PPPs), windfarms and mining projects
- Acquisition finance and leveraged buy-outs
- Workouts and restructurings
- Structured finance (including securitisations and receivables financings)
- General corporate lending (secured, unsecured, syndicated, bi-lateral and club transactions)
- Corporate governance
Recent examples of work Stuart has undertaken include advising:
- Construction lender AusFinance Group in connection with the rectification of mezzanine debt security on an existing distressed apartment project and subsequent recovery process.
- Hines Group in respect of the financing of its acquisition of several portfolios of industrial properties.
- ARA Group in connection with the $425 million refinancing of the Southgate shopping centre and related commercial buildings in Southbank, Melbourne.
- Unethical Investment Fund as lender to The Scots College in relation to a 5 year construction facility.
- Peregrine Projects in connection with the senior and mezzanine debt financing for the construction of a mixed use commercial building in Collingwood, Melbourne.
- The Developer of a large shopping centre at Mernda, Melbourne on its construction financing and subsequent refinancing.
- Victorian Freemasons on the construction financing for the redevelopment of the Dallas Brooks Hall site in East Melbourne into a large apartment and commercial complex.
- A large family office (as lender) in connection with a $20 million secured mezzanine facility for a residential development in New South Wales.
- A fund manager of the Cache Logistics Trust in connection with its $155 million refinancing of a portfolio of industrial properties located in Victoria, New South Wales and Queensland.
- Marsden Park Developments in connection with the $173 million refinancing of its master group facilities with
CBA secured against a portfolio of commercial properties at Marsden Park, New South Wales.
- Advent Partners in connection with the acquisition financing of a number of fund portfolio assets.